Friday, June 15, 2007

Reflections on a Rare Quiet Night

I have absolutely nowhere to be.

This is the first day I’ve been able to say that in four weeks. And it is merely because yesterday I finished directing one show and tomorrow I begin directing the next one. They give us a night off to reflect. Or to sleep.

For now I’m reflecting, though sleep is certainly coming soon. As I’m reflecting, I’m reminded that three weeks and one day ago, I was planning on directing a Clifford Odets play called “Till The Day I Die.” Three weeks ago exactly I changed my mind and decided to direct a production of “Romeo and Juliet” from Juliet’s perspective, with abstract dream sequences to connect the dots. I had come here to try new things, take risks, and scare myself. I felt rather sure this production would make me try new things, take risks and scare myself. Rather sure.

And then a simple bonding activity changed everything. The four Drama League directors decided to see Spider-Man 3. Yes, Spider-Man 3. We got home from our trillionth meeting, did a read-thru of a rough cut of the play I had done the night before, headed to Applebee’s (I write this as I mourn our first Friday night NOT going to Applebee’s) and then saw Spider-Man 3. And as we watched this horrendous, incredible, absurd movie, I noticed that the absurdity of MJstandards to reflect her position on love could perfectly match the absurdity of a “Romeo and Juliet” from only Juliet’s perspective. So a mere 8 hours before my first design meeting, inspired by Spider-Man 3, I readjusted my concept.

There was no doubt this was new for me, risky and absolutely petrifying.

The fact that this production opened two nights ago is surreal. That I directed a production from concept to production in 18 days is absurd, and is exactly what is so rewarding about being here. There is no time to think, no time to judge, and no time to cut ideas cause they might not work – there is barely time to execute them to see if they work.

Has it been frustrating? Incredibly. The multiple tasks of working on Shakespeare’s language, adding four musical numbers, cutting the play, staging the play, in addition to simply getting into the routine of this place has been overwhelming at times, and certainly unbearable at moments. There have been multiple moments where I’ve been shocked by things that have happened (subtly expressing this with exclamations of “No! NO! I’m shocked! Shocked. This is shocking!”), moments where I’ve been thrilled by discoveries about the work, myself, and the creative potential of those around me, and moments where I’ve wondered what I’ve gotten myself into.

It’s in those moments, however, that I am most fully able to articulate what I’ve gotten myself into: a community of supportive, nurturing, collaborative directors who inspire me every day; a theatre that from administration staff through production staff is excited and inspired by the work that we do in a corner of their lobby; a group of actors willing to work their hardest every day to stretch themselves and help us stretch ourselves; a group of designers constantly trying to make the impossible possible, and succeeding.

It’s been an extraordinary few weeks, and I can’t wait to see what the rest of the summer brings.

Michael

No comments: